March 17, 2008

Soundtrack of My Summer

It was 3am in the morning and I couldn't sleep. I took out my battered Ipod and started playing the songs on my recent playlist... and sketches just came out of nowhere. Boys Like Girls. Daphne Loves Derby. Even some Maroon 5. A lot of the songs had very strong imagery and how I wish I could draw them exactly the way they look on my mind, but my noob skills permit me from doing so. Instead, I suffice myself to drawing those scenes as accurately (at which, I think I failed, but all the same...) as I can imagine them in my mind using my usual cartoon style. It, of course, helped that I was inspired during that time.


Back to the drawings. I started to sketch, like I said, some scenes as they were playing in my mind. I sketched so much more than what I ended up finishing and was inspired by more songs than what I ended up using. All the same, it was great practice for me. I will probably continue the rest of my sketches soon (especially since it's summer already) and create a second batch of love-sick, emo drawings using songs from Secondhand Serenade and from my all time favorite pro-depressant musicians Rachael Yamagata and KT Tunstall. But I'm trying to avoid my depressing songs lately. I need to keep being happy, especially since it's summer!


I named this collection the "Soundtrack of My Summer" collection, after the lyrics from one of the songs by Boys Like Girls ("Thunder"). I'd like to thank my good friends Jed and Abz for always singing songs like these during our emo sessions and car trips home. I hate telling people I listen to emo songs, but I just can't deny that I love these. Most especially, thank you Abz for "Coffee". It wasn't summer yet when I drew these and started listening to these songs, but I was thinking of summer so... I hope that counts.

My mom always begged me to draw more 'couple drawings' as she'd call it. She said I drew too much single girls , so thanks mom, I'm following your advice! I do hope that as you wish, I'd be able to find someone just as romantic as the boy in my drawings. Haha. To make things even better, I drew the girl to look like me (hopefully) with the outfits all resembling actual outfits that I wear regularly! My friends and classmates found the clothes all-too familiar, which was of course, the goal of the idea, so on that level, I guess I had succeeded. So yes, that's supposed to be me with my imaginary boyfriend in imaginary settings doing imaginary things. My boy has funky hairstyle.

And lastly, I guess I just want to say that... if you don't go looking for it, sometimes, it finds you.

Also, you don't know it's you, you probably never will, and you will probably never read this anyway, but thank you all the same for the inspiration! *clap clap!*

Read Soundtrack of my Summer: Part 2!

---
Songs from left to right top to bottom: "On Top of the World" by Boys Like Girls, "Coffee" by Copeland, "The Great Escape" by Boys Like Girls, "Simple, Starving to be Safe" by Daphne Loves Derby, "Better That We Break" by Maroon 5.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

emo! haha! pero gandaaaaa! :) hello sheeeeenaaa! bakasyon mo na! draw ka pa marami para masaya! haha. ang sabaw ko! malapit na mag wed! excited ka na bang magsummer? haha.

Sheenz said...

hahahaha christy ann alam mo na ano unang reaction ko hahaha! thanks very much! and yup, will definitely draw more this summer! wag na summer class! patalo!

Anonymous said...

"if you don't go looking for it, sometimes, it finds you." --> did you make this quote on your own? hahaha i like it :> cuteness! i love all your drawings too love! hahaha as for my other reactions about it, im sure you already know :)) HAHA! so excited for our next sleepover!!! :P

Sheenz said...

mmm i wrote it on my own haha not sure if i heard it na before somewhere... and haha yes i know your reaction to this all too well. you're bursting my bubble. haha. im so excited toooo!! can't wait to kwento and have u scolding me hahahahha!