April 16, 2008

The Hush Sound


The first song I heard from this band was "Lions Roar" and it was through a REALLY AMAZING typography video that I found on You Tube. I fell for the lyrics and loved the sound, thank goodness this was the first song I heard (Come on, there were words like 'puppets' and 'elephants' and everyone knows how much I love the circus haha). I am proud to say that the Hush Sound was my own discovery (much like my ultimate favorite singer Rachael Yamagata). I was searching for new material when I came across the cover art of their album "Like Vines".

Their indie rock sound is very much reminiscent of another of my favorites, the Decemberists, but the Hush Sound provides a softer and seemingly more innocent feel. Heavy pianos and often times, a mellow tone. Charming is the word to best describe them.


Greta Salpeter and Robert Morris take turns in the vocals and it helps in keeping a good range of variety in their music.

Listening to their sound in the middle of everything was one of the best things that's happened to me this week, and in perfect timing as well. Their sound makes you forget about the world for a bit and takes you to a place where time stands still and people sit and stare as the world flies by.

I haven't listened to all their songs fully yet as of this moment, but here are some of my favorite lines, so far.

"You painted me in pastels, colors that don't tell of any boldness. Cause that's the way you love to see me; so delicate, so weak, so little purpose" -The Artist

"You are the daydream in my eyes, there whenever I wake up. But the colors never crystalize and I never get enough" - Love You Much Better

"And if the timing is right to sneak off into the night, I'll let myself be taken just for the thrill. And if I'm given the chance to be a doll in his hands, I will be sure we shake the mountains while we dance" - The Boys Are Too Refined


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I also discovered The Hush Sound on my own by browsing indie music on MySpace two years ago and instantly fell in love with them before I was even a fan of Panic At The Disco. I love all their albums, but in my opinion Like Vines is their masterpiece. I feel it's the most magical, haunting, and cohesive and also contains the best vocals. I'm glad you like them!

Sheenz said...

Hello! I really love Like Vines as well. Definitely magical and haunting! Thanks for dropping by!

Sheenz said...

Hello! Thank you!

The Grainary Corp. said...

Hey Sheenz! Try listening to People in Planes! They have this really great song "Pretty Building!"

Sheenz said...

Tanque! I'll try listening to it!

Anonymous said...

oooh.. i loved honey! what other songs of their's should i download too love? :)

Sheenz said...

The Boys Are Too Refined is one of my favorites also... and Not Your Concern is cute :p I have loooadddds of new songs grabe haha. Try listening to The Morning Of as well.