November 05, 2007

Favorite Disney Films

Everybody has their own favorite Disney feature film. For years I've been trying to find that one single movie which I can call my "favorite Disney film of all-time" but I could never really pick just one. And I don't really have to! Disney has produced a LOT of beautiful animated feature films and it's near impossible to pick an all-time favorite.

So I chose my top 3 favorites and those are Aladdin, Mulan and Peter Pan (in no particular order). The reasons why these three are at the top of my list is because they stood out for me personally. More than the other films, these three are the ones which bring back memories and make me feel different and happy in their own wonderful way.

The story of Peter Pan has appealed to me since the beginning. A story about a boy who didn't want to grow up, now what can be more sensible than that? I love the entire concept of Neverland, and the way it's divided (Mermaid Lagoon, Indian encampment etc.). I love the colors and the blending (which I have to credit partly to Mary Blair again! The genius has struck again!). My favorite scene is the one with the mermaid lagoon. I loved that scene as a kid and I still do up to this day. And of the nicest parts in the film was when George (Wendy's dad), at the last part of the movie, mentioned about the ship being very familiar to him. It's so sweet and nostalgic and that is my favorite emotion!

Aladdin has been my childhood favorite and Jasmine was my idol. I found that a lot of young girls my age back then all has Littler Mermaid as their favorite movie but somehow, Aladdin appealed to me more. I love the story, the concept and the theme. It's a breath of fresh air to see different cultures portrayed in Disney films. I also love how the scenery in Aladdin changes from time to time and never just stuck in one. It also helps that the backgrounds were very stylized. Watching behind the scenes features of this movie helped me understand and appreciate it even more. It's witty, funny, beautiful, but most of all, a classic.

With Mulan, it all began with my affinity to the Chinese culture obviously because I'm Chinese! The traditions, culture, beliefs and people were all elements that I was very familiar with and this was very nice to see in a film. I love Fa Mulan's legend and her character is just inspiring.

Which Disney films are you're favorite? :)

8 comments:

Mari said...

Mulan is also the first Disney heroine to not be completely obsessed with her "prince" and vice versa.

=D

Rach said...

I second you on Mulan and Aladdin! Peter Pan is a more recent favorite for me, but one more would be the Lion King.

Sheenz said...

mari, i agree about mulan and i think that's one of the best things about her!!

paperback writer, lion king is great! but i'm not that much of a fan of animal cartoons (though some are excellent, like this). :)

Anonymous said...

of course than mulan have to be your favorite movie xDD But mine definitly is Cinderella because she is like me a very simple girl ^^ not so pretty as her but im the girl who gives love to my friends and pleople than i see everyday ^^

Sheenz said...

Hey stephy! Yes Cinderella is very nice! I like the art of the movie. That's very sweet, the way you're like Cinderella! :)

Anonymous said...

I'm like you. Its hard to pick just one Disney movie but I do have a top three.

Beauty and the Beast was my first disney movie that I ever fell in love with. I loved Belle! Her strenth and how she doesn't back down when she first meets the Beast and the fact that she likes to read (and so do I) just really captured me.

Aladdin is one of my other favorites. I mean come on Jasmine had a pet tiger! How cool is that?!? But seriously, I loved how she stood up and just told people what she wanted and wasn't afraid to do so. The fact that Aladdin showed a different culture was great too.

Mulan is latest favorite. I love learning about the Chinese culture and so this movie just encouraged me to do more research in the traditions and dress of that culture. Plus it was just cool to see three guys dressed up as women. I think thats a first in the Disney movies. :)

Sheenz said...

Two out of three from mine, not bad ;) haha. I love Beauty and the Beast as well. The songs are amazing.

I'm glad you find Chinese culture interesting. It really is! Yeah, three guys dressing up as women was a first, definitely one of the most memorable Disney scenes. Haha.

Anonymous said...

wee!! you made me remember how lovely all the disney films are. i love cinderella, beauty and the beast and aladdin the most though. hahaha :P