November 09, 2007

Year of a Million Dreams

Introduction

(skip this part if you are aware of the campaign)

Disney Parks introduced their campaign "Year of a Million Dreams" last 2006. They extended it to 2007 and just recently, announced that they are extending it once again to 2008. This is a year-long campaign wherein Disneyland cast members pick guests at random each day and give them special rewards, from simple things such as fastpasses, to irreplaceable experiences such as a chance to stay overnight at the Cinderella Castle or have breakfast with all the Disney characters smack down in the middle of Main Street USA!

Take a look at these videos regarding the campaign (links at the bottom of this entry). The first is the official commercial. More visual imagery than info about the project. You can learn more about the project with the second and third video. The third link is just a link to the official website, but usually they have a video at the front page. If you're too lazy to open and watch them all, at least open the first one and tell me if you still don't believe in magic. :)


Cinderella Castle Suite

The prize that almost everybody wants (including me, of course) is the overnight stay at the Cinderella Castle Suite. This room is just amazing. It's very huge, the beds are very beautiful, the draperies are so detailed and elegant, the ceiling on top of your bathtub is full of sparkling stars and everything is just perfect. What could scream 'Princess for a Day!" more than an overnight stay here?!

Dream Makers

In their website, you can view videos of different cast members talking about their most memorable wish-granting experience. Some stories would really touch your heart, like letting a little girl (who has been looking for Snow White the entire day) actually meet and walk down the streets with her favorite princess. Or like giving fast passes to a little boy who had to leave early because he had a plane to catch despite not yet having ridden his favorite ride. I just find it so amazing that these lucky people are paid to make people's dreams come true. They're paid to be fairy godmothers! I wish my future job would be as satisfying. ^^

Annie Leibovitz Photoshoot

To promote this campaign Disney hired famous photographer Annie Leibovitz to portray famous personalities as Disney characters. The original set included pictures of Scarlett Johansson as Cinderella, Beyonce as Alice from Alice in Wonderland and David Beckham as Prince Phillip from Sleeping Beauty. When the campaign was extended, two new photos were created, this time featuring Julie Andrews as the Blue Fairy from Pinocchio, Roger Federer as King Arthur and Rachel Weisz as Snow White. (Pictures shown above, click for a bigger resolution)

I love EVERYTHING about this photoshoot; the concept, the artists they chose, the photographer, the slogans, EVERYTHING! The one with David Beckham was really amazing, like, this is exactly how you'd imagine your prince to be! And Scarlett Johansson and Rachel Weisz make the best princesses. Unbelievable. They chose just the right people and everything is perfect.

I've always wanted to be a photographer (just for good fun, not really professionally) but because of my many other hobbies and interests, I don't get to pursue all my dreams. If I ever do though, the kind of pictures I'd take would have concepts similar to these. I want to make stories, fairytales and other abstract things into something that people can now see and become more real to them.

Going to Disneyland!

Experiencing the everyday magic at Disneyland in itself is already a dream come true for many -- for me too! Being able to walk inside castles, hearing the magical music, going inside colorful and happy shops... this is what my heaven is made of. When I heard about this campaign, I got so excited and now, I don't think I've ever wanted to visit Disneyland this bad!

The last time I visited the Disney Parks in the US was when I was still 8 years old (1996) and since then a lot of things have already been added. Also, since I was still young then, I couldn't remember everything anymore. The other Disneylands were great (Tokyo, Disney Sea, Hong Kong) but nothing compares to the one at Florida and Anaheim. I want to go there next year! I don't care if all I get are silver mouse caps. Heehee ^^. I want to stay at the park for 5 days straight (since I spent 2 days at HK Disneyland, whose size is a million times smaller than the ones at the US haha).

Just to be able to visit the two Disney Parks again would be a dream come true for me already. I wish we would be able to visit next summer, though those are not yet part of our family plans.

But I guess I just have to never stop dreaming! Like they say, you'll never know when someone decides to make your dreams come true!

Links

Million Dreams Commercial
Million Dreams Promotion
Disney ParksOfficial Website


Watch the videos and fall in love with magic.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey
i went to disneyland last year for the third time and it really is the best place in the world i love it
we stayed 4 7 days straight in disneys californain hotel so we were pretty much in the poark 24/7
we won silver year of a million dreams mouse caps and lanyards with year of million dreams pins :)
nuthin 2 big lol

they were waiting outside the mattahorn and splashmoutain exits like after ther ride...

i guess u just gotta b at the roght place at the right time :)

some other people won a ride on a float in the parade at nite and a stay in the mickeymouse sweet

it was great to go to dosneyland
i wish they had one here in australia :(

loves
whynotletmelive
deviantart

Sheenz said...

That's so nice! I'd love to ride the parade at night! Ack that would be so great! Congrats on the caps and pins! :D And yeah, I wish we had a Disneyland here too.

Rach said...

Oh, I've seen those videos too! It's cheesey to say, but they always make me tear up. What they do is a huge part of the magic of Disneyland!
Since I live close to Disneyland, I've been quite alot during the YOAMD, but I've never actually won anything. Once I went with my cousins, but we split up and they won the Dream FastPasses. (Luckily they shared with me!)
Hope you get to Disneyland soon! :)

Sheenz said...

Yeah the videos are so sweet. ^^ You're lucky you live so near! Hope you get to win some stuff soon (since they're extending it again)! And, thank you :)

Anonymous said...

Im Going To Disneyland On December Are You Going Too? Cause If You Doed We Can Meet Each Other ^^

Sheenz said...

Stephy! No, don't think I'll be going. Enjoy Disneyland! Hope you have loads of fun!

Mari said...

The year of a million dreams campaign personally annoys me. It's the one thing that really irritates me at work. Because we're a single store and not a theme park, we can't give away fast passes or tours, and we can't give away free merchandise since that defeats our purpose. Instead we do "magical moment" certificates. I'm extremely bad at these because you need to engage in happy activities with kids who usually don't want you to. I hate it. Especially in gallery, where we have more tragical moments (an in-store joke that we have) than magical moments (There was amonster group of kids who managed to knock over and break 3 glass ornaments literally within 1 minute.. while with their guardians). What's worse is that the number of magical moments each person gives away is recorded and sent to file with Walt Disney World's administration. I literally went "oh god no" when I saw it was extended to 2008. I'm sure it's a hell of a lot easier to do this campaign when you have several acres of theme park, and not 3 floors of retail.

That being said, I love the photos too. The Snow White and Cinderella ones are my favorite~ I'm going to Walt Disney World in January for the first time in 8 years (I've never been to any of the other parks) and I'm hoping to go to Tokyo DisneySea in the spring.

Lol I don't hear anything particularly great about Disneyland. Everyone always says that pretty much everything at Disneyland is at Disney World so don't bother. Since you've been to both (right?) what do you think?

Sheenz said...

Hahaha, what sort of things do you guys have to do anyway? I couldn't imagine that they'd use that same campaign in retail stores! That's weird. I'm sure it works better at Disney Parks... way better. lol

I don't remember Disney World and Disneyland much anymore o.o So I can't answer that. Haha. Well I'd really really love to go back to both.

You have to show me pics of your trips to the Disney parks! Hope you'll have a great time!

Anonymous said...

awww.. i love it! i want to stay in the cinderella castle suite too! i want to go to disneyland!!!! lets go!! pleaseeeee.. hahahaha isa lang ang masasabi ko dyan.. ASA! :| at may pera ba! :)) i love your entry! it made me smile! mga kababawan ko =))

Sheenz said...

I want to go toooo!!! Haha no money :( When we're older nalang, let's bring our kids together there HAHA!