October 26, 2007

Artists: Part 1

Looking at other artists' works always inspires, which is why I constantly keep my eyes open for new artworks and unique art styles. Just recently, as I was searching the internet, I've found three great artists with painting styles seemingly similar, yet entirely different, form each other. I'm talking about the works of Mark Ryden, Yosuke Ueno and David Ho.

What's unique about Mark Ryden is that he paints popular cultural icons (Barbie dolls, for example), religious emblems, and for some odd reason, meat (yes, meat), in a very sophisticated manner. He is a surrealist first and for most but his style has a clear fuse with classical painting styles.


Yosuke Ueno

Yosuke Ueno has this unique color scheme which I just love. He uses recurring subjects in his paintings such as space men and elephants (which are my favorites of his). But what is most interesting are the little consistent drawings he always fits in his different paintings. If you go to his website, click the "Keys" button. There you'll find a list of all those drawings that he paints constantly in all his paintings. Then view his gallery and see if you can look for the drawings inside his works!


David Ho

David Ho creates entire series of different themes. My favorite theme of his is his Interpretation Series (wherein he remakes famous paintings) because I have also thought about doing an entire series with that same idea (I've already started it actually, with Last Supper and the Venus de Milo, heehe). His style is a bit goth-like. Her Candice the Ghost series is also very interesting.

I haven't painted in the longest time and besides, I don't think I paint well enough. But these paintings have inspired me and maybe, just maybe, I shall try to learn again soon! ^^

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

sheena! you HAVE TO post your tiny painting, the one of the princess and a knight! hahaha do you know which one im talking about? hahaha show the world your lovely painting!! :P game!! i love that painting of yours! hahaha

Sheenz said...

Hey milka! alright alright i'll post that ;) I just placed in in my laptop. I'm not very proud of that one, but since you like it very much, I'll post it for you. Haha