February 28, 2008

Music from the Tea Lands

I'm downloading new music again, and to add to my "cool" music collection (Milka will comment on this I'm sure hahaha), I downloaded three Putumayo World Music albums and so far, my favorite is this one, Music from the Tea Lands. It's time for a tea party!

I was first drawn to the charm of Putumayo because of the cover art designs. The artworks are created by Nicola Heindl and the style features a fusion of folk lore and contemporary. For those who are strangers to Putumayo music, Putumayo World Music is a record label which specializes in featuring upbeat and melodic music from different parts of the globe. They specialize in African and Cuban music but they are also great in selecting music from all over. According to the Wikipedia article, a large portion of their target market are people with an interest in culture, travel and the arts. People like me! Amazing!

Music from the Tea Lands particularly impressed me because of its melodic Asian sound. It contains music from China, India and Turkey (only to name a few). I really enjoyed the music because I feel transported through time and space. Asian culture has been a growing interest of mine and this music makes a great accompaniment! Makes my room feel like a cozy little tea house. I love it.

I've been thinking up of a concept for my future store (thinking WAY ahead, Sheena, what the hell) with a cultural, artsy kindda theme and for sure, Putumayo Music will be playing in the background.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG! you have REALLY weird taste sheena love! :)) one word: REF! :| you know what i mean. HAHAHA! it's an inside joke! hahaha! WINNER! ;)

Sheenz said...

hahha this isn't one of my REF songs milka! those are called indie ish songs, these are called... uh, i don't know, world culture songs... haha!