February 11, 2008

Maggie Parr

I was first introduced to Magie Parr's artworks during my visit to HK Disneyland, and back then, I wasn't aware that she was the genius behind the paintings. I distinctly remember walking inside Banquet Hall and seeing the Snow White painting, I squealed like a little girl and rushed to it to take pictures. Then I noticed that there were other paintings beside it with the same art style and I felt like I was gonna die of excitement. Haha.

What struck me at first about her paintings was the colors and lighting. It gave out an air similar to that of old renaissance works of art. I love how she made the Beauty and the Beast artwork most especially because it's so early century-ish! Belle looks a bit huffy here though at first glance, hehe.

I was lucky to have come across a website once which accurately provided the artist's name, since I really had no idea who did these paintings. So I researched more about her works and found out that she was in fact commissioned to do a lot of portraits for the different Disneyland Resorts.
I was able to gather some samples of her works as well.

Probably my favorite series is the one where she imitates the styles of famous pieces like the Mona Lisa (which she wittily named Minnie Lisa) and one of my personal favorites, The Swing. I have already had ideas of creating a similar set (actually I've already started before, with my Last Supper drawing), but I wasn't able to push through with the plan, partly because I felt that my flat colors wouldn't do the paintings justice. But maybe I shall get around to continuing that idea next time.

11 comments:

Rach said...

Oh! I'd seen the "Minnie Lisa" one but not the one with the princesses! That's awesome! Also, random question! How did you change the comments to doodles?

Sheenz said...

Layout at the Page Elements section, Blog Posts part. :)

That's cool! I haven't seen the Minnie Lisa yet! :)

Anonymous said...

awww.. cute!!! :> belle looks a little scary in one of the pics though. she looks mean there. :O haha

Sheenz said...

haha yeah nga e! pero pretty nh!

Mari said...

Whattttt.. I work at a Disney Gallery and I've never heard of this person before. D=

I love the Aurora and Phillip one. And the Minnie Lisa is very cool (way cooler than NY's Minnie Liberty).

I love how fluid the soft shading and lighting is. Nothing over the top and very realistic. X3

Sheenz said...

I haven't seen Minnie Liberty *runs to research*. Minnie Lisa looks really good, huh? And I totally agree about the soft shading. It makes the picture so beautiful!

The Grainary Corp. said...

Donald and Daisy looks weird. Mickey's chin were moving, Mona Lisa's wasn't. :D Hey Sheena!

Sheenz said...

You mean Minnie? Haha. :p Hey Tanque! Thanks for dropping by!

Mari said...

Ha! I just noticed that the Beauty and the Beast painting has the most literal Hidden Mickey I've ever seen. XD

Sheenz said...

omg!!! i didnt even notice that! :p that's so cool!!!

Orandon said...

Super-Cute! I think your entire blog is fun - thank you for sharing a little about your life. LOVE Disney, too!