July 21, 2007

The Circus In Her Head

Story


"Little Annie couldn't wait for the circus. The red balloons, the clowns, the elephants... they all made little Annie so excited! Unfortunately, the circus only comes once a year and this made little Annie sad. But little Annie was a very smart girl. She thought, if she couldn't make the circus come everyday, then she'll never let them leave!


So the time when the circus came, little Annie watched happily and waited for the show to end. Just as the clowns were packing up, little Annie took out a certain device that she created and shrunk the entire circus!

Now little Annie was very happy because she can take the circus everywhere. But a few days later, she got tired of carrying the circus around. So since little Annie was a terribly good sewer, she sew the circus and the clowns on top of her hat. That way, they'll be with her wherever she goes!"

The drawing

This drawing is one of my personal favorites (from the whole lot of my drawings). While I was drawing this, I did not have a particular concept in mind. I just doodled whatever came to me; I did not plan proportions, colors nor style. I guess sometimes, all you really need to make a masterpiece is not to plan on making one.

Some people have pointed out that the title ought to be "...ON her head" and not "...IN her head", but I assure you, that is no grammatical error. Haha. I really wanted to place IN her head because the circus really IS just inside her head. The drawing is the visual representation of how Little Annie feels. The circus is all in her head. I wanted a sort of double meaning kind of effect.

Daily Deviation

Last April 11, 2007, I got the shock of my life when I was notified that I got a Daily Deviation feature on DeviantArt. Having a daily deviation is an honor and only selected pieces are chosen each day. I never expected my work to be featured and I really couldn't ask for more. I was ecstatic that day; took so many screencaps of the front page. Haha! See the deviation here !

About the Story

I don't think I'm as good in writing as I am in drawing, though I try my best. But sometimes, I'd like to combine them both when I get really inspired. This is one of those times. I know the style is something that of a children's book and that was really what I was going for. One of my many many dreams is to be able to publish / write / draw for a children's book. I'd really like to make more mini stories. Maybe I will, when I get the time.

It's just different for me though; the illustration comes first before the writing.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh my gosh sheena! the story is uber cute.. awww.. super duper awww.. :) really! I love it! I also went to the deviation thingy, soooo cool! see.. this is why i have to find my special thing, i swear :O hahaha! *hugs!!*

Sheenz said...

Milki!! Hehee thank you. I'm glad you like it! Don't worry, you'll find your special thing soon enough. I'll help you discover your hidden talent ;)

Anonymous said...

seriously, wala akong talent. darn it :( haha yes, we shall search for it :P

Anonymous said...

this is one of my favorite Sheena-sketchartworks! :)

Sheenz said...

Hansel! Awww thank you. Haha. I'm glad you love it.