July 10, 2007

My Wooden Dolls Collection


I enjoy collecting things. But one of my favorite is my collection of wooden dolls. And for this particular collection, it is impossible to pinpoint exactly when I started.

Every trip, I'd always make sure that I bought sufficient souvenirs. Souvenirs and taking pictures are two of the things I love best in traveling. I'd buy everything from Venetian Masks to the smallest keychains; anything that would remind me of the happy experience.

Just before my latest trip to Hong Kong earlier this year, I decided that I wanted a particular theme for all my travel souvenirs. I wanted a collection which I can happily display side by side without looking like a mix of hullabaloo from all sorts of places. So I gathered all my past souvenirs (those which I can carry with my two hands at least) and sought for a common theme. Voila, the wooden dollies collection was born.

Since I just decided upon the theme, obviously I wasn't able to purchase enough dollies to accurately represent each place that I've visited (one of my few regrets in life). Here are the dolls that I was able to buy (by the way, I also include in my collection gifts from people of dolls form other countries. I shall note which are gifts)

In the picture, the Russian babooshka (I love this word! Russian for grandmother^^) dolls were from my mom's friend. All the other dolls are from trips I've been to like those two dolls at the back with pipes, I got them from Germany. The green one's name is Ludwig and the blue one's name is Albrecht. The male and female duo are from Korea (still nameless). The red one on the far right is Chimmi from Hong Kong. The two boys in the middle are my London boys named Edmund and Edward respectively. And lastly, the three little dolls left were from China and are still also nameless for the meantime.

As I was recalling the different dolls that I had, I remembered a Japanese little doll-keychain that I bought around 3 years ago. Unfortunately, I couldn't find it anymore. :( I searched all over my room and asked everyone in the house to hold a search party for her but to no avail. Luckily though, I was able to take a picture of her (I don't remember why I did that though). Sadly, that's all that's left of her, for now at least... I hope I find her soon! But if I don't, oh well, I hope she's in a better place.

Oh, and just a short sharing, the other night, I actually dreamt (how obsessed am I) of a doll that looked similar to my Chimmi doll only it was bigger and had a traditional Filipino Ifugao costume on. It was super nice. It got me thinking, do we have cute dolls like that in this country? If we do, I'd really really like to purchase some. ^^ It looked very pretty. If we don't, maybe the dream was telling me to start designing dolls like that! Haha.

Looking forward to bringing more cute dollies home!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

the dolls are haunting you sheena! hahaha :)) and.. i dont really remember the names of each of your dolls.. that is just plain weird hahaha!!

Sheenz said...

Lol funny milka. Well, I DO remember all my dolls' names. Do you have any suggestions for the other nameless dolls? Haha!

Anonymous said...

i love suvies too. i plan to fill my future house with a little bit of my favourite places in every room ^_____^ what's your favourite suvie ever gotten? and from where?

Sheenz said...

Oooh I don't think I can choose only one! XD I buy a whole bunch and place them in different places in my room, like this clock I got from France which is like a 'cafe' clock and the venetian mask that I bought. Those were particularly special.

I'll show them next time ^^ I plan on placing an entry about my room. Hee!

Anonymous said...

sheenz! your blog's cute :D we just went to europe this summer and i was super obsessed on buying a venetian mask too! but we ended up buying a casablanca one for my brother. i have dolls just like your edward and edmund. wala lang. i misshu! :D
-cel aka celly :P

Playmobil Christmas said...

Study woodcarving with a Hopi tribe member or with other woodcarvers well-versed in Native American crafts. Kachina dolls are intricately carved, and it will take much practice to complete a realistic-looking doll.